Monday, May 9, 2011

Manic Monday Photoshop Tips: Fonts


May 9, 2011

Manic Monday Photoshop Tips: Fonts!

Today’s Photoshop tip is about fonts. I love fonts and I’m like a kid in a candy store when I start browsing through font sites. Fortunately for me there are lots of free font sites to use.  A couple of my favorites are www.dafont.com, www.urbanfonts.com, and  www.fontsquirel.com. Professional fonts can be expensive and I can usually find a free alternative but if I need to buy a premium font I use www.myfonts.com. Here’s my tip for finding fonts that look similar to professional fonts: go to a free font site that has a space to let you enter sample text and enter a few letters or numbers that are unique to the font.  Select the category or theme for the font you are looking for. In the example below I’m looking for a font similar to Bodoni (I’m obsessed with those cool numbers) so I start with the serif category, type in the numbers 123 as my example and click the search button. As I scroll through I’m quickly able to spot the font John Hancock as a very close match to what I’m looking for so I download it  and I’m done.


Here’s a list of some of my current favorite fonts…
Typewriter font: VT Portable Remington
Script: Honey Script (it has a cool retro feel)
Serif Font: John Hancock
Dingbat:  WC Rhesus (cool splats!!)

Fonts are great tools to use in digital scrapbooking. What are your favorite fonts? 
See you next week,
Marcie

No comments: